Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Flower bed and sedum chair

This is my annual flower bed.  I like to plant mostly annuals in this bed so I can till it up and plant different flowers in it each year.
This might be the last year for this bed frame. It is starting to fall apart.  This was my bed when I was a kid.  It has been so much fun to have it in my garden.
Each year I plant different sedums in this chair.  To see what it looked like last year, click here.
Celosia
Common name is Cockscomb. The flowers belong to the amaranth family, Amaranthaceae. Cockscomb bloom with a compacted crested head 2-5 inches across, on leafy stems that are 12-28 inches long. The flower's name is suggestive of a rooster's comb. Cockscomb Flower blooms from late summer through late fall.

I just love his variegated one.  I had never seen this before.
Gaillardia, sometimes known as Blanket Flower, can be annuals, biennials, or perennials in our zone 4.  I just love them!

11 comments:

Lona said...

Hi Bonnie. I just love your flower bed and sedum chair. I have been keeping an eye out for a little metal bed to put in my garden but no luck yet.Your Gaillardia is so pretty.Blanket flowers just keep on going all summer here until the frost gets them.I use to grow the deep red cockscombs but have not grown any for years, Your is so bright and pretty and fall looking too.

Paula said...

Everything still looks so great! love how things have filled in. Thanks for sharing, paula from idaho

Racquel said...

I love your flower 'Bed' and sedum 'chair', so charming. :)

Jean said...

Love the chair and the bed! The Cockscomb is very interesting. I haven't seen a Blanket Flower like your before either. Great post! Jean

Katie Olthoff said...

Love your flower bed - not a bed of roses, a bed of marigolds!!!

Diana LaMarre said...

How sad that your childhood bed is falling apart--it looks so cute with all the flowers.

That is a very pretty gaillardia.

Unknown said...

Love yr sedum chair. THat cockscomb is so unusual - love it.

Sherry said...

I love the idea of planting sedum in a chair. I have a pot in my garden that I like but the chair adds so much. I have a blanket flower with similar colors but not as pretty and fluffy as yours. You still have a great looking garden.

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

So creative - flower bed bed and sedum chair. Lovely garden too!

troutbirder said...

That bed is so cool Bonnie! Too bad its falling apart.

Unknown said...

Love your chair and bed - very unique.