Wednesday, October 20, 2010

I love this tree!

This flowering crabapple tree was in our back yard when we moved here 17 years ago.  It is hard to believe we have lived here 17 years.  Time goes way too fast. 
I just love this tree. In the spring it is covered in beautiful blossoms and gets these wonderful berries that stay on the branches all winter.  The birds and squirrels just love them.
Well this fall we had a major sewer project in our small town. Everyone was required to be hooked up to “city” sewer. This meant no more mound systems or septic tanks.

With is project came loss of gardens. It also meant loss of our grass that we had looking pretty nice. My back yard is such a mess it makes me sick to look at it. Hope to make it into something better next spring.
This brings me back to this tree that I love.  They wanted to cut it down.  I just couldn’t let them do it.  It would take too long to get another tree this size.  I got my way.  They left the tree.  It took a beating, but I think it will live.  A couple branches are splitting where it was hit by the machines.  I will have to remove them, but I think it will be okay.  Yeah!
These photos were taken on Sunday.  I just couldn’t believe all the Robins in our yard.  I counted 18 of them in the tree and on the ground in the back yard.  Some of the berries fell to the ground when the contractors where working around the tree.
Today is Outdoor Wednesday. Please check out the others here.   Thanks to Susan at a Southern Daydreamer.

9 comments:

cherry said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday love the critters and the tree that first picture looks like cherries.. Thanks for sharing.
hugs from Savannah, Cherry

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Thank goodness you saved the tree! I'm in a waiting game about a phone line going near our locust. The contractor says he will go trenchless. I'm still holding my breath until it is done. I have a tree like this but it is still tiny. It sure loaded up with fruit though. I love robins. You have a whole flock of them!

Kim, USA said...

Very pretty! Fantastic shots!
The Lake

Ms. Bake-it said...

How wonderful that you were able to save your tree! It is gorgeous and obviously a favorite to the wildlife.

~ Tracy

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

Hi Bonnie,
So Happy to hear you Won the Battle & Saved your tree, What a Shame it would have been to lose your tree ~ Now I know what I have to look forward to (provided Ilive long enough ...lol) You see we planted one way down in the very back. Last Winter it had a few berries,hopefully as time passes there will be more. I am sure the animals will be very happy :)Sorry to hear about your Gardens :( , but as you said , You will be able to plan for something New : )Something to look forward to in Spring ~ :)
Have Great weekend ~
Angel

Fruitful Harvest said...

What great pictures!
I love birds and cherries!

Peace and Blessings,
Georgiann

saltbox
treasures
said...

Hi. Visiting from Outdoor Wednesday. This tree is beautiful and the birds too! What a gift of nature.
~ Julie

Anonymous said...

I love your Outdoor Wednesday photos. Beautiful bird in the tree.

donna said...

Good for you for fighting to save the tree.....the wildlife thanks you.

donna