Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Downy or Hariy Woodpecker



I think this is a Hairy Woodpecker, because it has a longer bill.  It is so hard to identify.  It is much easier when they are together.  Please tell me what you think.  Thanks

10 comments:

Leslie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

I'm going to say Downy for the moment.. I have a bird book at home that has a great description of them both, but I think you're right, Downy is my vote..
Leslie

saltbox
treasures
said...

Your bird pics are so wonderful as well as all of your nature photos. What beautiful creatures you are able to capture in their natural elements.
The snow even makes them more beautiful!
~ Julie

Mary Bergfeld said...

Bonnie, your photos are wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

From the Kitchen said...

I always like to stop by a blog written by a Bonnie! And, here I find wonderful photos. Most of my photos, so far, are of our dalmatian, Oliver, and food but I'm planning to branch out as I become more familiar with my new camera!

Best,
Bonnie

Heather at Dusty Bay said...

Hmmm not sure - but your pics are great!

troutbirder said...

My unscientific intuit says it a downy. But your right size tells all. The Hairys are half again bigger than the Downys and harder to get close to for a pic. Much shyer than Downys.

Richard said...

Definitely a Hairy Woodpecker. A quick way to tell the difference (in the male) is that the Downy has a red splash across the back of the head and the Hairy's red is divided into two red areas with a black line down the middle.

Jean said...

I just love all your bird pics! I never seem to be able to catch a good one. Jean

donna said...

I also associate the word "huge" with Hairy to help me remember that Hairys are "huger" than Downys.

donna