Monday, June 13, 2011

Oriental Poppies

Oriental Poppies (Papaver orientale)

I have had a hard time growing these Oriental Poppies.  When people come and view my garden, they think these Oriental Poppies are thistles before they bloom. They will either pull them, before I have a chance to tell them they are a flower, or they will step on them.  I have been thinking about taking them out of my garden, because they look like weeds when they are not blooming.  I glad I didn't because I love the color this year.

Most Oriental poppies will reach a maximum height of about three feet while flowering. Unfortunately, their show is short-lived. Most of the time individual flowers last only a day or two.

Today is Mosaic Monday. Please check out the others here. Thanks to Mary at LittleRedHouse!

2 comments:

Mary said...

They are so pretty in bloom! Maybe you could put them in planters or pots?

sweetbay said...

Your Oriental Poppies look like tangerine silk..