Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Liatris

Common names include gayfeather and blazing star.
Liatris is an insect magnet, attracting Monarch and Swallowtail butterflies, and lots of bees.
Liatris is unusual because the flowers bloom from the top down rather than the bottom up, as is common with most upright spiked flowers. This makes them a great cut flower, because as the old flowers at the top begin to look spent, they can just be snipped off and the stalk will continue putting out fresh blooms farther down the stem. They also make nice dried flowers.
In the fall I make sure these plants are marked because they are one of the last plants to come up in the spring. Another thing I have learned is not to plant in an area that stays waterlogged in winter. This will result in the corms rotting in place and no plants. Bury the corms no more than 2 inches below the soil line and less if you are using mulch.
I really enjoy watching the butterflies and bees on these plants this time of year. In the fall the birds love to pick at the seeds.

3 comments:

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I enjoyed this post. Liatris is one of my favorite flowers, too. I planted some more this year, but they aren't getting enough light where I planted them.

Oh, and I forgot to congratulate you for getting rid of dial up!

sweetbay said...

Beautiful bee picture!

Happily Retired Gal said...

Fascinating photos and information. I've not heard of this flower previously but it's lovely. Wonderful macro shots ;--)
Hugs and blessings,