Friday, July 30, 2010

Fertilizer Fridays/Flaunt Your Flowers

Cleome
Phlox
Liatris-common names include gayfeather and blazing star.
Celosia or Cockscomb

Moluccella laevis - Common names are Bells of Ireland, Shellflower, or Molucca balm. 

Despite its common name “bells-of-Ireland,” the plant isn’t a native of Ireland. Rather, the name refers to the green color of the “bells,” or calyces. It hails from the Eastern Mediterranean region to Northwest India, Asia Minor and the Moluccas (Spice Islands), from which the genus name is derived. The species name “laevis” means “smooth,” possibly in reference to the true flowers.


I am planning on drying these and have been reading up on this.  From what I read, the foliage on bells-of-Ireland is prickly and can be irritating to the skin. Remove the leaves to avoid allergic reactions or rashes. Air-dry them by hanging them upside down and place them in a cool, dark, airy location. A wire can be inserted into the hollow stem to create the shape you want them to dry in.

I would love to hear if anyone has tryed this and if they have any advice on how to do this.

Today is Fertilizer Fridays/Flaunt your Flower. Thanks to Tootie Time. You can check out the others here.

4 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Beautiful cleome and phlox. Love the color. Lots of pretties.

Ms. Bake-it said...

They all look fabulous, but I especially like the Phlox and Celosia. My son gave me three Celosia plants for Mother's Day. I do not think I have ever seen Bells of Ireland. I like their color and appearance so I will have to look into them.

~ Tracy

Suzy said...

Beautiful flowers! Love the one of the liatris and coneflower. They look like shooting rockets!

Catherine@AGardenerinProgress said...

I love the Cleome, mind never came up this year and I just love them. You have lots of my favorites blooming. I tried Bells of Ireland one year but they only got to be about 6 inches tall. I remember going to a wedding and the bride had them in her bouquet.