Friday, October 9, 2009

Celosia

Celosia

They are sometimes called cockscombs or woolflowers.

Celosia- The name is from the Greek and translates to "burning," describing the look of celosias. It has a resemblance to licks of flames erupting from the stems.

Cockscombs- With its fanlike flowers, looks like rooster's red combs, hence the popular common name of cockscomb.

Woolflowers- For their brightly colored, woolly flower heads.

I picked these last night, before we had our hard frost. Tomorrow the high is supposed to be 37 degrees.

I love this plant for dried arrangements. I removed all the leaves from the stem and hang them upside down in my garden shed. After they are dried, they last for at least 6 months without losing any of there color.

Today is Pink Saturday. Please check out the others with our host Beverly at How Sweet the Sound.

10 comments:

Mumzie said...

These are beautiful. I've never been able to grow them very well. Thanks for sharing. Mumzie

donna said...

I always plant at least one container with Celosia, but never pink ones. Yours are lovely and just perfect for Pink Saturday. Stay warm. We'll be saying a lot of that for the next many months, won't we?

Anonymous said...

I love the Celosia too and plant them every year. I have never thought of drying them though - thank you for the tip. Happy Pink Saturday.

Char said...

Those are so pretty and I never knew they were so easy to dry, Happy Pink Saturday, Char

Carol at Serendipity said...

They are absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing.

Happy Pink Saturday!

Carol

Mary Bergfeld said...

Your collage is wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to assemble it for us. I hope you are having a wonderful Pink Saturday.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this post! I used to grow cockscomb all the time. I forgot all about that unusual plant till you reminded me. On the list for next year!

Happy Pink Saturday
mary

♥Mimi♥ said...

Lovely Pink Saturday post and sweet blog, too. Woke up to a dusting of snow on the ground so even thought this isn't Saturday I really needed a boost! Today you made me smile...

Sorry, I didn't get to see everyone yesterday. I had important business. My 11 year-old grandson was playing football and he wanted Mimi to go to the out-of-town-last-of-the-season-game. THEY WON AGAINST AN UNDEFEATED TEAM! WOO-HOO! 35 - 17☺

Hope the coming week blesses you with sunshine, happiness and good friends.

stefanie said...

hope you had a wonderful pink saturday!!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I don't remember when we had our first snow. Maybe it was the same day you did. The flowers looked so pretty with their dusting of snow, but it's heartbreaking knowing most of them were about to be finished for the season.

I grew some cockscomb like yours from seeds a neighbor gave me. Like yours, some had more of a comb than others. I didn't get any dried this year. I also had some volunteer, so just scattered the dead flowers around in the bed. Nice collage, by the way!