Monday, June 7, 2010

My cactus is blooming!

The gift I received from a friend the middle of May is blooming.  See that post here.  It is a prickly pear cactus, and the flower is amazing.  What a fun surprise to see it yesterday.

Gaillardia


Blanket flowers

Gaillardia is from the sunflower family (Asteraceae), native to North America. It was named after M. Gaillard de Charentonneau, an 18th-century French who was a patron of botany. The common name refers to the inflorescence's resemblance to brightly patterned blankets made by Native Americans. Gaillardia is sometimes commonly called blanket flower in reference to the resemblance of its rich and warm flower colors and patterns to blankets woven by Native Americans. Others suggest that the name blanket flower was originally derived from the habit of wild species plants to form colonies that blanket the ground.

Butterflies are attractive to the flowers and goldfinches like the spent flower heads.


Today is Bloomin' Tuesday! Please check out the others, thanks to Jean at MsGreen "thumb".

13 comments:

Gardener on Sherlock Street said...

Showing all the Gaillardia like that in a collage is so amazing. I think they're one of the happiest flowers to see anyway and that just amplifies it.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful collage of Gailardia and I love those Cactus blooms! :)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful collage of Gailardia and I love those Cactus blooms! :)

Darla said...

Very nice collages and your FF post is delish!

Stacey said...

Isn't it amazing how prickly pears produce such gorgeous flowers?

Suzanne said...

I love gaillardia -- I have several in my garden this year. So colorful and vibrant! Your cactus is fabulous too!

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

The bloom on your cactus is Really Beautiful!!
You are always so informative with the plants you show :) I enjoy your little stories.
Me?,I plant,hopefully they grow,and I take pictures. I read the tags , but after awhile with so many plants I tend to forget ..... anyway, Have a great day! :)

~~Rhonda said...

Can you believe it?? I don't have ANY gaillardia in my garden. I must, I must get some! Your pictures are beautiful! ~~Rhonda :)

Jean Campbell said...

Great Gaillardia collage. My only plant from seed has finally given up a frilly double blossom, not quite ready for the spotlight.

Becca's Dirt said...

Gaillardia Blanket Flowers are beautiful. Have a good day. Becca

Paula said...

Your cactus are amazing - I do not know anything about succulents - I think you really ahve to be a plant expert to grow them. Kudos to you! Paula from Idaho

Jean said...

Your pictures are just amazing! I so enjoy seeing cactus flowers. Such a contrast between the plant and the flower. Great post! Jean

Laurie and Chris said...

Love the collages and all of the bright colors.