The oaks and the pines, and their brethren of the wood,
have seen so many suns rise and set, so many seasons come and go,
and so many generations pass into silence,
that we may well wonder what "the story of the trees" would be to us
if they had tongues to tell it, or we ears fine enough to understand.
~ Author Unknown,
This gorgeous tree is on the farm of my friend, Judy. It is a Pinus sylvestris or commonly called Scotch or Scots pine. The lifespan is normally 150–300 years, with the oldest recorded specimens (in Sweden) just over 700 years.
Judy knows that this tree is over 100 years old. Her beautiful daughter had her wedding at the farm last fall and had photos taken under this tree. It is amazing to think of how old this tree is and what joy it has given to many generations.
He that planteth a tree is a servant of God,
he provideth a kindness for many generations,
and faces that he hath not seen shall bless him.
~ Henry Van Dyke ~
To read more about the Pinus sylvestris or commonly called Scotch Pine click here.

6 comments:
Hi Bonnie, Oh how I love old trees like that. We have several big shade trees in our yard --and even though I have to rake a tons of leaves in the Fall, I love them.
The Scotch Pines are so gorgeous. I also love all of the evergreen trees... It's amazing that your friend's pine is THAT old. I'm sure it has given the family alot of pleasure through the years...
Thanks for sharing.
Hugs,
Betsy
If only they could talk and tell us about all the things that have happened at the tree. I bet back in the day it was a popular spot for a gentleman to take a girl for a picnic. It is a beautiful tree and a great photograph.
Great post Bonnie!
That is a spectacularly beautiful tree!
What a pretty tree. I don't know if I've seen one like that before. I love it's shape.
What a great post. Oh, the stories that tree could tell.
donna
Post a Comment