BloodrootSanguinaria canadensis
It is from the poppy family. I was so excited to see it. It had been a long winter and it is so much fun to see something blooming again. Bloodroot is one of the earliest plants, it emerges from nearly frozen soil, flowering well before trees leaf out.
These flowers lack nectar, quickly dropping petals after pollination. The genus name, Sanguinaria, comes from the Latin word for "bleeding", describing the red juice in the stems and roots, used by many cultures as a dye and insect repellent.
It's flowers open on sunny days, closing tightly at night. Leaves unroll in full sun, curling up around the flower stalk at night and on cloudy days.This is a perennial native in Minnesota. It just started growing in one of my back garden bed. "A bed that has been neglected for a few years." I am so glad I didn't hoe it up. I marked it, because I hope it will continue to come up. Even if the flower is short lived, it has been a joy to see.
10 comments:
What wonderful pictures. I just love the blooms on Bloodroot. There are a few around here in the woods.
Hi Bonnie,
What a pretty flower...I love the way it closes up at night..it has to sleep too. ♥
I'm visiting for Mosaic Monday...hope you are having a wonderful day.
Drop by when you have a moment...
Hugs,
Stephanie ♥
What a lovely flower and mosaic.
These flowers are so beautiful! I see you have so many different ones on your blogs also, love them!
Minnesota's spring is beautiful and so much earlier than ours. I like the way you have identified the flowers you've photographed. I will look forward to following your blog and thank you for your kind comments on mine.
What a sweet little flower. It looks so dainty and delicate to be such an early bloomer. I had heard of bloodroot, but never knew what it was before. Thanks to you, I learned something new today. :o)
Gorgeous photos of the flowers. Haven't seen these one yet.
They spread readily and now they are scattered throughout all my woodland plots. Most fun was painted my grandsons cheeks as we talked about Sioux warriors. I don't think his Dr. psychlogist mother approved though...
You have no idea how much I luv Bloodroot and this post is one of my all time favorites. We had bloodroots that got covered over with dirt during a landscape project and they never came back.
Did you plant it or did it magically appear? If you bought it, let me know where. Appreciate it.
Donna
Donna-
It just came up on its own. Not sure where it came from.
Post a Comment