Saturday, April 24, 2010

Wild Ginger

Wild Ginger
Asarum canadense

I bought this plant at a local plant sale, and it has been a fun addition to my shade garden.

Wild Ginger’s flowers are located at the ground level to accommodate insects such as beetles that pollinate its flowers. The plant is only about 6” to 10”. It is native in Minnesota.

It has a single flower, brown to greenish red, tube-shaped, and it has 3 pointed lobes. Very small, about 1” to 2” long.
The flower is located between 2 leafstalks at ground level.

Each plant as a pair of heart shaped leaves. The leaves are about 3”-6” wide. The leaves are very soft and velvety due to dense hairs.

These plants can be found in deciduous woods in Minnesota. They are just a fun plant to have.
Please check out the other Pink Saturday posts here. Thanks to Beverly!

9 comments:

Maggie said...

That is one funky looking plant!

Happy Pink Saturday!

In Shoes We Trust,
Maggie
"Do these shoes match this purse?"

donna said...

Bonnie, where have I been? I've never heard of Wild Ginger before and now I want my own plant. You did beautiful photos with good information. Will add it to my list. I should do a blog post about all the plants/bulbs that are on my list. It's cloudy here with a light mist. Where are those April showers? We need them now.

donna

Noelle Johnson said...

I have not heard of wild ginger either. But I do love fuzzy plants and the leaves are so pretty.

Valrie said...

Is it also edible? The plant is fascinating. Stop by for visit and make a new Pink Saturday friend.

Valrie
http://poemsmyway-valrie.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Very interesting! I have several types of ginger...but not this one

Sherry from Alabama said...

What an unusual plant. Your photography is very good.

Sherry @ A Happy Valentine

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Isn't that a fun plant? I am enjoying mine, and plan to keep it from spreading too far. I recently read that slugs also pollinate them.

Unknown said...

I love it. So exotic looking, and a beautiful colour.

Anonymous said...

Looks really interesting. Does it itch? It is hairy for a teeny weeny flower :-)

Belated Happy PS!