Monday, April 19, 2010

Please help me identify

I thought this plant was blue eyed grass. Blue eyed grass is from the iris family, and this plant doesn't look like it is from that family.

The plant is so tiny, only 3" high and has very dainty flowers on a frail stem. The flower is about 1/2" across.

I am in zone 4 and this is one of the first things to bloom. It has been growing in my shade garden for about 4 years. I love it and would like to know more about it. Please let me know if you have any suggestions on what it is. Thank you!

Today is also Mosaic Monday. Please check out the other at Little Red House.

12 comments:

Amanda at 32˙North said...

Sorry, that's not a bulb I'm familiar with, but it sure has a wonderful shade of blue, doesn't it?

Amanda

Alaina said...

No, I have no idea what it is, pretty though. Thank you for strolling through my gardens, you are welcome anytime.

Rosie leavesnbloom Scotland said...

I think I know what it is - possibly "Chionodoxa luciliae" commonly known as Glory of the snow. Its a bulb and if you google the word you could check the images and see if they are similar - I think they are. :) Rosie

BTW lovely mosaic

Rosie leavesnbloom said...

Bonnie I was out in my own garden this evening and was looking at my "siberian squill". Check both out on google images to see which one it is. Hope this helps. :) Rosie

donna said...

I agree with Rose....I think it's Glory-of-the-Snow. Looks just like mine. I have a nice photo that I forgot to use in my GBBD post. Pretty aren't they? You might want to plant some Snowdrops this fall. They'll bloom even earlier than these blue flowers.

So....#4 is a grandpa now.

donna

eileeninmd said...

I couldn't help with the name but I see others already have. They are beautiful flowers and I love the color.

Anonymous said...

Lovely mosaic. I'm a lover of purple. Have no idea what this flower is but it's really nice!

Di
The Blue Ridge Gal

Bobbi Ann said...

Sorry, I don't know what this flower is but it sure is beautiful!

Icy BC said...

Hi Bonnie,

It's called Wood Squill, which you could read a bit of the information here on my other blog: http://reachbeyondlimits.blogspot.com/2010/04/delicate-and-fanciful-wood-squill.html

This was the first year I saw them. Very pretty!

Naturegirl said...

The prettiest little mystery plant growing in your garden!

Bonnie said...

Thank you so much for helping me identify my plant. I really appreciate it!

Corner Gardener Sue said...

They sure are pretty!