Thursday, April 1, 2010

Cornflower-Mountain Bluet

This photo was taken last night. It is so much fun to see the plants starting to come back. This plant is one of my favorites. It's common name is Cornflower, Mountain Bluet or Perennial Bachelor Buttons. It grows well in full sun and light shade and in poor to average soil fertility. In rich soil, plants may develop straggly, floppy growth and may become invasive. (I have not had this problem, but were it is planted the soil is not the best.)

Thin the new shoots by about one-third in the spring to increase air circulation through the plant. This will help with downy or powdery mildew, rust or mold. I have had rust some years, but I cut the plant back to the basal growth as soon as it is done blooming. It gets a second flush of blooms in the late summer.
The following photos were taken last spring and summer. This is what the flower looks like when it first opens.
Here it is open just a little bit more.
It still looks ok in this photo, but it is starting to fade.
Here it is almost done and the center is staring to go to seed.
This flower is so much fun to use in arrangements. I love to use it in 4th of July arrangements.
Today is Fertilizer Friday. Thanks to Tootsie Time. Check out the other here.

12 comments:

eric @ my First Garage said...

Wow, what a great bloom - I love the blue/violet colors.

BTW - I found your blog through a comment you left on A Corner Garden.

tori said...

beautiful. I love this flower too. I grow them from seed in my garden.
thanks for stopping by :)

Julie said...

What a gorgeous flower! Have you ever grown Cleome??? It looks like giant firecrackers! The white is my fav because of that. One year we saw a huge bed of them at Disney World, right inside the Magic Kingdom at the start of Main Street...they were amazing planted in a huge mass like that! I bet these are too! I love your idea to use them in 4th of July bouquets! Thanks for coming by my blog! See ya around!!!
Julie

Unknown said...

I love these flowers! Grew tons when a child.

Happy Easter!
TTFN ~ Marydon

troutbirder said...

The color just leaps out at you. I love it!

Darla said...

Lovely. I have my blue cornflowers posted today as well.

Sylvia said...

Wow....love the vibrant color!!

Sylvia

Erin said...

Very cool!

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

This plant does give such Beautiful flowers!! Your photos of it are very nice also.

~~Rhonda said...

I love the color. So pretty! Isn't it fun to watch your favorite plants coming back to life in the spring? ~~Rhonda :)

donna said...

My mother-in-law always had them growing outside the back door. Luv the color.

donna

Corner Gardener Sue said...

I had a planting of those that lived for years, then, one spring, it didn't come up. I've planted more, and not had it live as long, but what I planted last year is back up and looking good. Yours sure looks healthy and happy.