
Some fun facts about the zinnia flower.
The zinnia was the state flower of Indiana from 1931 to 1957. The peony (Paeonia) was adopted as the state flower by the 1957 Indiana General Assembly.
When the Spanish first saw zinnia species in Mexico, they thought the flower was so unattractive they named it mal de ojos, or "sickness of the eye!"
The flower is named after a Johann Gottfried Zinn (1737-1759), a professor of Botany at Gottingen University in 18th century. His name was used because he was the first person to publish a scientific drawing of the plant in 1753.
They come in virtually every color except blue.
This zinnia has a little green friend.
A little fact about me. My favorite color is orange.
Today I participated in Outdoor Wednesday, to see other entries, please visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer.
11 comments:
what a gorgeous picture!!
Woah look at the vibrant color!!!! I love orange too! What a lovely pic!
xoxoxoxox
Donna marie
Thanks for stopping by The Hut, it led me to your beautiful blog. I just love pictures of flowers and that scarecrow you posted a few days ago is just wonderful!
I love zinnias too. Your orange is wonderful. I have had a zinnia patch for the past 3 years that reseeds. They get cross pollinated and so I never know exactly what will come up. The butterflies love them too.
Your photos are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them and your love of orange with us. I hope you are having a wonderful day.
How wonderful to scroll your blog. I love it and love the stories of flowers.
Thanks for your comments. :o)
I love zinnias. They are one of my very favorite flowers. My grandma used to plant them in her garden every year, and in the fall she would let me pick some to take to my school teacher. Karen
Mary,
I love the color of the Zinnia...They are full of bright colors...I don't have those...Could you tell me if they are hardy flowers...I started to buy hardy plants and dlowers...Got a long way to go to do more flowers beds....Great photos...just beautiful! Thanks for sharing the history...very interesting..Happy Outdoor..Katherinellen
Bonnie,
Oops...I call you Mary...so about that...Just letting you know that I add to your follow list..Love your blog...Maybe I will learn more about flowers form you..hehehe...I need it!
Bonnie, a gorgeous zinnia but I am still in love with mumsy ;) Added it to my 2010 wish list already.
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!
Post a Comment