Cosmos flowers come in magenta, pink, purple, white, yellow, gold, orange, red, scarlet, and maroon. This year I planted "Sulphureus". These are the ones in the photo. I also planted "Bipinnatus", which are magenta, pink and rose colored.
Spanish priests grew cosmos in their mission gardens in Mexico. The evenly placed petals led them to christen the flower "Cosmos'. The name cosmos is from the Greek kosmos, meaning good order or harmony. The Greeks were impressed with the flower's symmetrical petals.
Today I am participation in my first Flaunt your Flowers Fridays. Check the others.

5 comments:
I have only grown the pink, purple and white ones. Now, I must get the orange and yellow ones. Great collage!!
welcome welcome welcome....welcome to my blog list...welcome to Fertilizer Friday! I love the photos...and the story of the flower! I have been poking around your wonderful blog...that sedum chair knocks my socks off!!! I best get junkin for a chair to plant!
have a wonderful weekend...and thanks so much for flaunting with me!
I'm a grower of cosmos in my garden, thanks for the explanation of the name
I love what you said about the cosmos. Interesting. Nice post. Have a good weekend.
Love your blog! So much interesting information. I will be back!
Post a Comment