Resurrection Lily, also known as the Naked Lily and Surprise Lily.
In the Spring, the leaves sprout forth looking like large tulips but just wither away as though the plant gave up and died. This of course is where it gets it's common name resurrection lily.
Thick naked flower scapes rise to 2’ tall in late summer, That is why it is called naked lily.
Thick naked flower scapes rise to 2’ tall in late summer, That is why it is called naked lily.
What makes it surprising is that about this time (August) every year, they just pop out of the ground with no leaves or foliage of any sort.
Please check out the others who are participating in Mosaic Monday. Visit Little Red House by clicking here.

7 comments:
what a neat plant!!! I wonder if I could get those here?...
I think they too are a fascinating lily. I have a whole bed of them and each year I forget they are there until they surprise me by popping out of the ground and blooming within a week.
Beautiful pink mosaic ;--)
I only know this unique plant as Naked Ladies and enjoyed learning these flowers have other names as well. Thanks for sharing and for visiting my YELLOW mosaic at Small Reflections. I've shared a BLUE Mosaic and some Monochrome photos at Sacred Ruminations earlier ;--)
Hugs and blessings,
Great mosaic, Bonnie. Love the lily.
A couple days ago I noticed these blooming in a neighbor's yard. I've seen them on other blogs but always in a warmer climate. Glad to know that they will bloom here and in MN. Very pretty pink post. I've put them on my list of things to plant.
Interesting plant! I've never heard of it before. Thanks for the lesson :D
Thanks for giving me so much information on this type of lily. I've wanted to plant these for years, but never see them in the stores. They remind me of my grandmother. Thanks, Mumzie
Post a Comment