
pulsatilla hirsutissima
This one is called Red Bells Pasque Flower.
The pasque is the state flower of South Dakota. It is also called the May Day flower. It grows wild throughout the state, and its blooming is one of the first signs of spring in South Dakota.
The early blooming time of many Pulsatilla species gave rise to the common name. Pasque refers to the Paschal, or Easter , season.
It is a member of the Ranunculaceae family, which is Latin for little frog. The name was given to the family because a group of plants in this family grow where frogs live.
The Pasque flower grows low to the ground to keep out of the cold climate. It is also covered in fine silky hairs, which help insulate it. Silky hairs cover not only the leaves but also the stems and buds of Pasque flower.
I love how it looks after the flower have gone to seed. Please click here to see last year's photo.
Today is also Mosaic Monday. Please check out the others here. Thanks to Mary at Little Red House.

8 comments:
Hi Bonnie. Your paque flower is just lovely. I like their fuzzy stems and heads too.
Hi, Very beautiful mosaic! I hope that you have a lovely new week!
Hugs...
Bobbi
The Pasque flower is so beautiful. I wanted to tell ypu that my husband's grandparents were originally from Roseau, Minnesota and they came to Alberta as homesteaders in the twenties. They brought a rose with them and though it was transplanted from the original homestead, it it still blooms each year on my husband's parent's farm. When it blooms I'll take some pictures and see if you can help me identify it. We would like to move some of it here to our farm.
Your Pasque flower is very interesing , and very pretty! So different .....:)
Have a great week!
Hi Bonnie,
I haven't seen that color of pasque bloom. I love it!
Hi Bonnie, I'm so happy you stopped by HFTS and left me a comment because it brought me over to "Flower Bed". I've added myself as a new follower. I'll look forward to reading more of your garden journal. I love to garden, and in fact, that is where I've spent most of my time in recent weeks. This little Pasque flower is beautiful. I don't know this one, so thank you for introducing me to this lovely bloom.
Hope you have a great week. ~ Sarah
Thus Pasque flower is the May Day flower. Here in France it is Lily-of-the-Valley, a lucky-charm flower offered to those that you love.
Thanks for stopping by my blogs and for your kind comments.
Have a goode week.
I posted last week of my pasque flowers or pulsatilla. I love this plant in the garden in all stages of its development. Good choice. Valerie
Post a Comment