Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Prairie Smoke

Prairie Smoke
Geum triflorum

It is also known by the name old man's whiskers. It acquired its name from the seed heads that have a smoky or wispy appearance.

Flowers, in groups of 3 to 6, droopy, reddish brown, bell shaped.
Each flower has 5 pointed petal-like sepals that alternate with narrow bracts and 5 very small white-to-pinkish petals.
Height is 6” to 16”.
It is a Minnesota native prairie plant. It is a favorite for poets and photographers because of its seed heads of 2” feathery plumes which gives it a “smoky” appearance. They look like a feather duster. (I will post a photo of that when it happens.)
Today is Outdoor Wednesday. Please check out the others here. Thanks to Susan at a Southern Daydreamer.

8 comments:

Becca's Dirt said...

Interesting. Looking forward to the bloom.

Lona said...

I am anxious to see it in bloom since I have only saw the yellow ones. I love the fuzzy look it has. Wonderful camera work!

Anonymous said...

Great photos of a very interesting plant. I have never seen that one before. Thank you for visiting my blog and for leaving a really sweet ocmment! Hugs, Cindy S

Avalon's Garden and Mewsings of Garden Cottage Cats said...

You do find and show the most interesting plants! Thanks for sharing!

Bettey said...

Awesome plant. I havent ever seen this one before!

EG CameraGirl said...

Ah, thanks for reminding me to take a photo of my prairie smoke. They are such unusual plants!

Daniela said...

What a sweet flower, love that you have given it a dark background :)

donna said...

You've introduced me to another new plant. Seems like I should already know it since I live in a neighboring state, but I don't. On my list it goes.

donna