Forget-Me-NotMyosotis scorpioides
This is a fun plant that only gets 6” to 12” high. It has a fusion of 5 petals that form tiny blue flowers. Each flower is ¼” wide. Stems are curled and unfurl when the flower begins to bloom.
It is a Minnesota wildflower. You can find it in wet, shade, and along streams. It can live directly in water but is usually found in moist soil.
Another old name for this plant is “Scorpion Weed”. This refers to its coiled flower stalk, which resembles the coiled tail of a scorpion. Some suggest that the common name comes from the plant’s unpleasant taste or odor that is hard to forget. Another story is about a suitor who reached too far over a cliff to obtain the flower for his love, fell and cried out, “Forget me not!”I love to use this in miniature arrangements with lily of the valley, and columbine.
Today is Bloomin' Tuesday! Please check out the others, thanks to Jean at MsGreen "thumb".
12 comments:
I have blue forget me nots this year. Yours are beautiful. Hope mine look this good.
What a beautiful shade of blue!
I have a lot of Forget-Me-Nots showing up in my garden too! They're beautiful!
Oooh love your Forget Me Nots! They are beautiful! Paula from Idaho
I have this flower and just adore it. It compliments so many others.
I love forget me nots, but I have never grwon them. I need to add them to my "to grow" list! Thanks for sharing these beautiful flowers!
I love that shade of blue in the garden. :)
I have forget-me-nots all over! I'm not sure if they are the same as yours. I let them bloom and pull at least half of them out or they would take over. Lovely shots! Jean
I really like forget-me-knots in the garden. The blue just pops in the spring. They get a bad rap from many people but I let them grow in my garden too. Valerie
I love reading about how plants get their names. I am glad the Scorpion weed name did not stick.Just not the right name for such dainty blue blooms. Beautiful pictures!
You captured the blue of the forget-me-nots very well!
I like the second version of how it got its common name. Luckily it wasn't me falling over the cliff or the plant would be named Help!
The blue color is unforgettable. So pretty.
donna
Post a Comment