Friday, May 14, 2010

Coral Bells-Heuchera

Coral Bells
Heuchera

There are many different species of Coral Bells. I grow a variety of them, because I love the different types and colors of their foliage. This one is Heuchera sanguinea.
This variety has plain green leaves, but I really like the pink or red flowers. There airy spikes and consistently full green foliage makes this plant a great accent in many places in my garden. These can also be placed in containers. I am planning on making my containers this weekend, and adding some to them.
Heuchera goes by the common names "coral bells" and "alum root". The former name refers to the red flowers seen on the popular garden species Heuchera sanguinea. Like this one.

Alum Root refers to the fact that the tannin-rich, astringent roots can be used like alum in the pickling process. The roots are also used as medicine to shrink tissues in those with nose bleeds, sore throats, and ulcers. Heuchera is closely related to tiarella (foam flower). I also like to grow this plant. And the two genera have been crossed to create the intergeneric hybrid x heucherella, to which we give the common name "foamy bells". Coral bells and foamy bells have become very popular because they are attractive and easy to grow.
The only downside to heuchera is that they are short-lived unless they are divided every 3-4 years as the crown becomes woody. They like soil that has good drainage. Good air movement is also important, so a light open woodland or part-sun spot is perfect.
I love to add them to arrangements.

Today is one of my favorite days. Fertilizer Fridays/Flaunt Your Flowers. Thanks to Tootie Time. Please check out the others here.

5 comments:

Lona said...

Bonnie your bouquet is so pretty. I love the images of the heuchera blooms. You are right there are so many great colors of heuchera anymore. One for anyone's taste or color.

Unknown said...

WOW! I don't have this one ... will be looking for it tho. Love your florals.

Have a great weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

Maureen said...

I love your close up shots.

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Hi Bonnie,
I love coral bells, too. Today, at the Farmers' Market, a woman bought 3 of the same kind from a vendor. I told her I have a row of them, and each one is different. She wasn't impressed. She still bought the same kind. Oh, she did point to another and said she has that one. Maybe she has a bigger yard than I do.

You have a cute bouquet there!

Thanks for your comment on my FF post.

troutbirder said...

mmmm, so now I know why I haven't had much luck keeping coral bells going. Thanks Bonnie! :)